Venture Growth Manager
Who We Are
Rippleworks Foundation brings the practical support entrepreneurs need to scale faster and improve more lives. Rippleworks partners high-growth social ventures around the world with leading startup expertise from Silicon Valley and the larger US tech sector.
Rippleworks leads short-term, high-impact projects where ventures tackle their top operational challenges to growth, all while developing new skills. These projects are 2 - 5 month engagements in which social ventures, senior leaders of top Silicon Valley firms, and Rippleworks Venture Growth Managers (VGMs) come together to solve startups' top scaling challenge. Since launching in 2015, Rippleworks has worked on 80+ projects with social ventures across 59 countries, empowering entrepreneurial teams that are improving the lives of more than 201 million people.
Examples of our projects include:
- Slack’s Chief Security Officer worked with M-Kopa to strengthen its data security. M-Kopa has brought affordable electricity to more than 630,000 homes across Africa.
- Square’s Head of Growth worked with Tienda Pago to improve customer engagement. Tienda Pago’s platform empowers small businesses across Latin America to see a 20-30% increase in sales.
- Facebook’s former VP of HR worked with IDEO.org, a poverty-fighting design firm, to reimagine its recruiting strategy. IDEO.org’s portfolio of projects include financial health education, clean water & sanitation, and accessible healthcare.
Rippleworks also supports ventures with hard-to-find capital required for scale (grants and investments in the $1M-$5M range), and through its Insights Initiative, which provides learning experiences for social ventures to bring them the frameworks, resources, tools they need to grow their business.
The Venture Growth Manager will directly help high-growth social ventures scale by leading our projects. You will work directly with CEOs of top social ventures and senior leaders of top Silicon Valley firms to drive these projects to success. You will lead diverse, virtual teams across emerging markets to tackle the venture's toughest operational challenge as well as gain practical knowledge and skills on critical areas for growth.
Your hands-on approach to solving these challenges will help companies build permanent capabilities to drive inspiring, meaningful social impact. This is an ideal role for anyone who wants to learn what it takes to become a world-class operational leader at a high-growth startup.
Specifically, you will:
- Manage 5 – 6 projects concurrently with a total portfolio of 13 projects per year. Each project is a 2 - 5 month engagement in which a social venture, senior leader from a top Silicon Valley firm, and the Rippleworks VGM come together to solve the startup's top operational challenge.
- Assess operational challenges faced by fast-growth social ventures and how to best solve these challenges
- Lead virtual teams of 5 - 10 people across diverse business functions such as engineering, product, marketing, data science, human capital, operations etc
- Create project plans and milestones, hold stakeholders accountable, and lead weekly meetings to build permanent capabilities within the social venture
- Build effective working relationships with CEOs of social ventures and senior tech leaders
- Contribute in full to the VGM team by sharing best practices, lesson learned, and support as the VGM team works on 50 projects annually
- Play a pivotal part in forming Rippleworks’ strategy, growth, and team culture
You are a driving force in an entrepreneurial organization, and are building a career on being a details-oriented problem solver. You are both a strategic thinker and a tactical do-er. You get excited when you deeply learn about new topics and will stop at nothing to solve the problem at hand. You love being at the bottom of a learning curve and sprinting to the top.
You strive to be the best at what you do, and you want to make your teammates better. You have high emotional intelligence, you are passionate about building great teams, and you understand how to influence and motivate people. You believe that one person can make a difference and you are known to pull pranks every once in a while (or, all the time).
Specifically, you have the following experience:
- 6+ years of experience in one or more of these roles:
- Experience leading strategic initiatives, i.e. serving as Chief of Staff
- Product management
- Project management within a startup or a scrappy, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated ability to create, build, and manage cross-functional projects and teams that bring tangible results
- Proven track record of working closely with executives, effectively holding them accountable and acting as thought partners
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain authentic relationships with key stakeholders
- Passion for entrepreneurship and social impact
- MBA or other higher graduate degree preferred but not required
What We Offer
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits: Medical, dental, vision insurance, 401K + employer match, charitable donation match, parking & commuter allowance, and more
- Be inspired by meaningful work: You will see and feel the tangible impact of your work on a daily basis
- Travel the world: Everyone at Rippleworks has the opportunity for at least one international working trip a year to see our impact in the field
- A culture that values personal & professional growth: Weekly team lunches, monthly Lunch & Learns, monthly team-building offsites, regular team celebrations (birthdays, milestones, anniversaries, holidays). We also eat a lot of popsicles (find out why).
- A diverse and inclusive workplace that actively seeks and attracts people from different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives
- Fun work perks: Rippleworks team members enjoy perks that add a little special touch to time spent inside and outside the office, including premium accounts for Spotify and Headspace, and discounts to various hotels, restaurants, and activities
- A team of friends: We are a highly collaborative team that values local adventures, good jokes, and debating where to go to lunch